The story of the Children of Lir is a haunting Celtic myth which is an intrinsic part of Irish folklore. It tells the story of the four children of ancient Irish King, King Lir. King Lir married a woman called Aoibh and they had four beautiful children, one girl called Fionnuala and three sons, Aodh, Fiachra and Conn. However when the children were young, Aoibh died and Lir and the children were devastated. Seeing the children unhappy Lir married Aoibh’s sister Aoife in the hope that she would act as a mother to them. However Aoife was evil and jealous of the children and their love for each other and their father so she used her magic to transform them into swans. They were banished to spend 300 years on Lough Derravaragh, 300 years on the Sea of Moyle and 300 years on Inis Glora. All they were left with were their beautiful singing voices and people would come from far and wide to hear them sing. They stayed together for the 900 years and the spell was eventually broken when a church bell rang out at the Monastery on Inis Gluaire, where a priest blessed them. However as they were now so old they died to join their parents in heaven and were buried all together in the one grave.
Children of Lir Small Pendant
Express your love of Celtic mythology with this stunning Children of Lir pendant from Irish brand Boru. Inspired by the Children of Lir fable, this design is crafted from sterling silver and embellished with sparkling cubic zirconia and haunting green stone eyes. This Celtic design will have you casting your own spell.
Matching earrings also available.
- Rhodium Plated 925 Sterling Silver
- Stones: Green Cubic Zirconia (Eyes), Clear Cubic Zirconia
- Weight: 10.9 grams approx.
- Width: 23 mm approx.
- Height: 24 mm approx.
- Chain: 18” to 20″ Extender Cross
- Handmade in Ireland and Hallmarked in the Assay Office in Dublin Castle.
- Presented in a Fallers gift box.
Please note that if item is out of stock it can take about 1-2 weeks to order in.
Approximate delivery times once shipped are as follows*:
- Ireland – 2-3 days
- UK – 2-5 days
- Europe – 2-10 days
- USA – 2-7 days
- ROW – Please contact us for shipping times.
* The above are for reference only and delivery times can vary from order to order. You will be emailed once order is processed to let you know delivery time for your order.